Wednesday, March 19, 2008

One Month Old

I can't believe it! Bailey is one month old today. It's gone by so quickly, but at the same time so slow--if that makes any sense. So quickly in the fact that this past month has been the craziest month of my life with so many unexpected things going on. Every day I am learning more and more as I spend more time at the hospital watching Bailey progress. I almost feel like I can hold my own in a medical conversation with the nurses now. But it's also been the slowest month of my life because she's still in the hospital. Some days seem to drag by, but when I stop and think about it I realize that another week has gone by.

The exciting news for me is that I started driving this week...unsupervised. I was really looking forward to this time so I could drive down whenever I wanted to. But to be honest, it's been a little boring doing everything by myself.

Last Saturday was the baby shower and it was a ton of fun. I got some of the cutest and smallest outfits that you'll ever see. I am so excited to get Bailey home and play dress up. Having a girl is definitely a dream come true for me because I can hardly restrain myself from buying every pink, girly item of clothing that I walk by. I can just picture Bailey in all of the adorable outfits that everyone gave us. It was also a really fun day because my Grandma came to the shower and then after we went down to see Bailey. My Grandma was so excited to finally meet and hold Bailey--my Grandma (and my Great Grandma and my Great Great Grandma) is why we chose Mae as Bailey's middle name. While we were visiting Bailey on Saturday, we totally broke the hospital's rules and snuck my mom in while my grandma was in and took a four generation picture. (I would post it but we took it on my Grandma's camera) They are very strict on only two visitors for each baby, but I guess the nurses realized how momentous the occasion really was. It's always fun for me to see my family members with Bailey.

WARNING TO BOY READERS FOR THIS NEXT SECTION: THE TOPIC IS NURSING
Yesterday was a big day for both Bailey and me because we started learning how to nurse. Notice that I said that WE both learned because it is definitely a learning process for both of us. Thank goodness for the kind and super sweet nurses that take care of Bailey and help me with anything and everything. Nurse Kathy helped me with my first attempt at nursing yesterday. For only being 34 weeks old, they say that Bailey is doing really well. The 5-10 minutes of "nursing" mostly consists of Bailey sitting there with her mouth open, but no action going on. The best and strangest part about the whole experience is that they put us in a little room to try for the first time. After Kathy showed me how to do everything and reassured me that everything would be just fine, she closed the door and left me and Bailey all alone. That was the first time that I had been alone with my baby girl. It was both exciting and scary at the same time.

To all the moms out there: Each day brings me a new appreciation for everything that moms do for their children.

NEWS ALERT: Brian just came home and told me that Bailey weighs four pounds!!! That's just a few ounces for most people/babies, but a giant step for preemies.

No comments: