Friday, February 12, 2010

A Perfect Day...Almost

On Tuesday, Bailey woke up with her eyes glued shut with eye boogies--good morning! Once we got her to the doctor, we found out she had conjuctivitus (just guessing on the spelling). I think it should be renamed to the eye boogie disease. It is an easy fix because she just has to have drops three times a day for a week. But because it's still contagious for the first 24 hours on the medicine, I had to keep her home on Wednesday! Yeah--I love staying home with Bailey, espcially when it's not a sickness that makes her grumpy and miserable. So here is my perfect day...almost:
I woke up at 6:15 to meet my friend Cary at the gym. We've been going three times a week before school. It's nice to have a workout buddy; that way I feel guilty if I don't go because Cary will know. I came home ready to play with Bailey for the day. We ate, watched som Gabba, had a tea party, and played in her room. She does the playing in her room, while I do the cleaning. I was on such a cleaning roll and Bailey was having so much fun, that I even decided to clean Brian's closet (which is in Bailey's room). By the time I was done, Bailey was ready for her nap and I was ready to bake.

Wednesday night was my first class activity at church and I was in charge. I had decided, with the help of my sisters and mom, to make cute sugar cookie bouquets. I had a yummy cookie recipe and we even called my old Young Women's leader who made beautiful and delicious cookies back in the day to get the frosting recipe. While Bailey was sleeping (for almost three hours!) I made two batches of dough, rolled it all out, cut the heart shaped cookies out, and even baked most of them. I even timed it perfectly with one batch that I had time to run upstairs and take a shower before the batch was finished baking. I seriously felt a little like Holly Homemaker/Martha Stewart. I was truly basking in all of my homemaking glory! I even took a picture of my baking--and I never do that! When Bailey woke up, I got ready, came downstairs, fed Bailey, and make the yummy frosting. Once the frosting was made, we headed off to get gas and then to Michaels for crafty supplies. Once at the store, we ran inside and bought some little pots to place the flower cookies in and decorate.

The next item on the agenda was a middle school field hockey game. My team had a game at 3:45, so we headed off to my school. My girls are great and we won 6-0! I kept thinking to myself that this day was so perfect. When I got home and started packing up all of my supplies for the activity. Brian came home from work and I headed off to church. I was really excited that everything had gone so well and I was excited for my crafty activity. Here's where things started to take a slight turn for the worse. On the way to church I realized that I had forgotten my paper with my semi-spiritual begining for my activity. I called Brian and had him text me the major pieces, so first problem solved.

When I got to church, I sadly saw that I only had three girls--I was supposed to have 8. Not a problem! That just meant more cookies for everyone. Once I got everything set up, more girls had come so we were ready. As I was explaining to them the activity, one of them knocked over the huge container of rice that I had brought to fill the little pots. Rice all over the carpet--not off to a great start. After picking up most of it, we continued on our way. The girls were having fun decorating their pots. They then moved on to phase two--decorating the cookies. I had made a bunch of different colors of frosting and bagged them up so we could decorate. I cautioned my girls to use the frosting sparingly because I wasn't sure if it would hold. Once the first girl was finished, I filled her pot with rice and we started to arrange her cookie flowers. I quickly realized that the stems were too long, so I had to cut them. I also realized that the cookie flowers were a little too heavy for the tiny pot filled with rice. The next 15 minutes quickly turned disastrous as all of the girls started potting their flowers and simultaneously spilling their rice everywhere!! I finally got them to stop spilling the rice, when all of their frosting started melting off the cookies and into their rice pots. It was at this point that it just all became hilarious to me. The girls just wanted to eat the cookies and that was fine with me. I eventually took all of their pots and melting flowers and put them on top of the piano to avoid further spillage.

We were disaster free for about 15 minutes while we played a game, and then the girls spilled their rice on top of the piano!! I couldn't believe it! Quickly I grabbed what rice pots were left and dumped them all in the trash, put their cookies on plates, and sent them on their merry way. The girls had fun and the cookies were good, it just didn't turn out at all like I thought it was going to. So much for making a good first impression with my girls and the other leader--oh well. I guess I should just start planning ahead for next time. Lesson learned from this experience is: don't do anything with rice and young women! The experience was so traumatizing that I didn't even take any pictures.

Totally unrelated, here are some pictures of Bailey with Pop and Aunt Nancy when they were out last week:

This picture is as good as it gets. The runner up was like this except Bailey was shining the flashlight right into the camera. It was really fun to see Pop interact with Bailey; I know that it made him so happy.

Bailey really likes it when people wear glasses like she does. Nancy was nice enough to let Bailey try to put them on all night long. I'm glad that Nancy didn't lose an eye! I should also remember next time to take pictures when we first get there, instead of right before we leave.

This morning I had my varsity team over for breakfast to give them their league champ patches and shirts. It's always fun to see them and Bailey loves it! She ran around the house all morning showing them all of her toys, tricks, and new words! They all loved the shirts and the breakfast, so I was happy.

2009 Field Hockey Palomar League Champs

(minus three girls)


Cicely said...

Oh my! I really can picture both the fiasco in my head and your reaction to it, and it's really amusing! Thanks :)

Erin Hoy said...

Oh my gosh! That is so freaking funny! I can't even tell you how many times stuff like that has happened to me with mutual! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!!!

Bliss & Gary said...

Such a great post! Sounds like a terrific day (even though it got a little bit exciting near the end there). We miss you guys! Can't wait to hang out again soon!